5 Flu Season Tips to Build Your Immune System
Flu season is upon us and it is a fact of life for our immune systems to respond with symptoms. Unfortunately, we have more to worry about every year because of Superbugs that are resistant to antibiotics. On the bright side - there are actions you can take to help protect yourself and perhaps even get recover quicker if you get sick.
- The herbs Echinacea and Goldenseal help stimulate your immune system – up to 60%! This is helpful because it causes your own immune system to work, which may help strengthen it. These herbs have been traditionally used to treat infections, and kill bacteria, protozoa and fungi.
Goldenseal has immune stimulating qualities. It has been used for centuries to kill all kinds of bacteria including Streptococci. It also helps to protect the mucous membranes from infections in the throat, sinus, bronchi and even the gastrointestinal tract.
Echinacea has been shown to stimulate the immune system by stimulating T-cell activation and stronger and more responsive immune activity. It also helps your white blood cells to aggressively attack germs.
This herbal combination can be a powerful addition to your medicine cabinet during flu season. The liquid form may work the best. It can be absorbed easier than breaking down a pill – which is helpful for those who are sick or who have gastrointestinal complaints. But be careful – if you take it longer than 10-14 days, your body will stop responding to it and it won’t work as well.
- Drink plenty of warm lemon water. Just squeeze some fresh lemon juice into a glass of warm water and enjoy. The warm water will help your body absorb the lemon juice quicker and get your lymphatic system moving.
Lemon juice is one of the most powerful antiseptic agents you can find in nature. It kills helps clear mucous from the body and kills germs. It is high in Vitamin C, contain antioxidants and contrary to popular belief, is very alkaline. Therefore it can help alkalize your body, which promotes a more efficient healing environment.
- Essential Oils of Lavender and Lemon can help you relax while killing bacteria and other pathogens at the same time. Essential oils have been used for thousands of years to protect and fight disease. Both of these oils have traditionally been used to help fight infection, kill germs, help circulate and cleanse the immune system and help with overall relaxation which the body needs to heal.
If you decide to try these oils this flu season – be sure to get the oils that are made to be used on the skin as opposed to only in aromatherapy gadgets. Once you find the oils that are made for internal use, dilute it 50/50 with olive oil or almond oil. These are “carrier oils” that helps your body absorb them. Try putting the mixture on the inside of your wrists, behind your ears, the lower part of your spine and on the bottom of your feet. They also make a nice addition to a healing bath.
- Don’t forget the old flu season stand-by, Vitamin C… and lots of it. It is a powerful antioxidant, stimulates tissue growth and repair, and helps the body produce collagen. It has been shown to help decrease symptoms of asthma in some patients. It is well known to increase immunity to infections and even helps lower blood pressure.
There are two important parts to vitamin C; dehydroascorbic acid and ascorbic acid. Unfortunately vitamin supplements usually include only one part called ascorbic acid. Therefore, it is best to get your main supply from food sources including these fruits and their fresh squeezed juices; lemons, oranges, limes, grapefruits, pineapples, papayas and even guavas.
- This brings us to the last and very important fact to help strengthen your immune system during the flu season – eat healthy. It is as simple as that. Junk food burdens your digestion which can overload your entire body. This can cause your immune system to become sluggish and not work fully. In addition, excess sugar can literally shut down the immune system.
Eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables along with unprocessed proteins and whole grains are easier for the body to digest, which in turn allows this extra energy to be used for the immune system to do its job. In addition there is the obvious – these foods provide the vitamins, minerals, trace minerals and enzymes needed to keep your immune system running and your body repairing.
Any or all of these tips can help you stay or get healthy. This flu season be proactive and strengthen your immune system, keep your organs of detoxification working and help your system move any of the bad guys, including bacteria, germs and virus, out of your body before they can do harm.
More articles on Building your immune system:
Strengthen Your Immune System
Boost Your Immune System with a Cleanse
Stay in Touch and Stay Healthy - Sign up for the
Free SCC Newsletter
. You will receive a password that gives you access to a member's area with exclusive articles, special offers and free downloads just for our Springclean health and cleansing community. Benefits of signing up include:
- It is totally free
- We will never sell or give away your email address
- Password access to exclusive pages and articles written just for you
- Free and special offers
- There is no obligation - you can opt-out and any time
Return to Health Articles
Go to Home Page from flu season