Natural Flu Remedy
for a Strong Immune System
Natural Flu Remedy - The flu season has become worse with the advent of superbugs and we become more resistant to traditional antibiotics. This leaves many people flocking to the emergency room as soon as flu symptoms appear.
But going back to the old fashioned natural flu remedy might be just the thing your body needs to help boost your immune system and kick the flu right out.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, the long term and overuse of antibiotics is the culprit that actually helped create the problem. Not only are antibiotics prescribed, but often consumed with the buyer unaware, through animal products such as meat and dairy products. With this, came the rise of the antibiotic resistant bacteria, also known as the superbug.
Natural Flu Remedy
You Can Do at Home
There are things you can do at home to protect yourself and your family. Many of these tips can be done help prevent the flu. Once inflicted, oftentimes holistic remedies can be done along with pharmaceuticals, if you choose.
The following is a list of natural flu remedies that you can use today to help strengthen your immune system so your body can do what it is made to do - fight the flu and get it out of you.
- As soon as you feel you are coming down with the flu, stop eating all sugar, breads and cheese. Any natural flu remedy will have a better chance of working when we give our bodies rest in other areas such as digestion. This helps take the burden off your digestion so that your body can do these two things; neutralize/kill virus or pathogens and then eliminate them from your body. The sooner it is out of you the sooner you will feel better.
- Consume plenty of clear liquids that will provide nourishment. This includes chicken or vegetable broth, water, diluted fruit or vegetable juice, and herbal teas.
- Drink warm water with organic lemon juice mixed in. You can use a couple tablespoons to 1/4 cup of lemon juice per glass of warm water, depending on your tolerance. The citrus helps thin mucus, and provides Vitamin C to help your body expel infected mucus.
- Add a dash of cayenne pepper and real maple syrup to your warm lemon water. This is a detox drink similar to the Master Cleanse. The real maple syrup contains natural minerals and the cayenne pepper is good for the heart. Maple syrup contains zinc and manganese, both of which are important to stimulate and help support your immune system. Cayenne pepper helps your body eliminate pathogens, stimulates metabolism (which in turn will help kill bad guys) and strengthens heart tissue.
- Drink warm water with apple cider vinegar and real maple syrup. Raw apple cider vinegar is not clear - it's a brownish color with tiny fibers running through it. (A favorite is Bragg's, usually found at local health food stores.) It contains malic acid, which helps fight bacterial infections and kills fungus. It contains a myriad of vitamins and minerals including beta-carotene, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, sulphur, sodium and potassium. Raw apple cider vinegar can help break up uric acid throughout your body which can contribute to toxic lymph fluid (part of your immune system) and cause pain in the joints. Using two tablespoons should be enough to receive the health benefits. Also, may people prefer this drink with honey or maple syrup. No matter which you choose just know it helps make this "health tea" taste a little better.
- Add liquid goldenseal and echinacea in about 1/4 cup of warm water. These herbs help your body kill virus and bacteria while stimulating your immune system. It is said these herbs increase the strength of the immune system by up to 60%!
- A popular natural flu remedy is old fashioned chicken soup - but for more healing power, try a chicken coconut curry soup. The coconut milk is extremely nourishing and the herbs not only strengthen but help your body expel thick, excess mucus. Here's a quick recipe:
Heat to simmer:
2 cups of chicken broth
1 cup of coconut milk
1/2 Tablespoon of curry powder
About 1 cup of cooked chopped chicken
3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 Cup each of minced green onion and fresh cilantro
1 Cup of cooked basmati rice
Sea salt and pepper to taste
Many times we don't feel like cooking while sick - so if you can find a similar soup in your local health food store, try it.
Other Home Treatments to
Help You Recover and Feel Better
While tips on the following list is often not considered natural flu remedies, they sure can help you feel better and get through the discomfort. Check out some of these to help your body detox the flu from your system and get better, faster.
- Brush your teeth with a 50/50 mixture of baking soda and sea salt to kill lingering bacteria in the mouth and possibly trapped in the gums
- Take a hot bath with epsom salt (if you don't have a high fever, of course). This can help speed and stimulate lymph and circulation to more quickly burn or remove unwanted pathogens.
- Try using lavender or lemon essential oil mixed with a carrier oil, such as olive or almond. Many people find these effective when dabbed on areas where they lymph nodes are near or capillaries are nearby, such as the side of the neck or wrist.
- Gargle with a mixture of warm water and a pinch of sea salt to kill bacteria in the throat. The water should be about as salty as a tear to be effective.
- Drink warm, herbal teas. Some of the most effective for flu busting are green tea, which contains quercetin for an anti-viral effect, or make your own ginger tea (boil ginger root in water) for an upset tummy and as an antinflammatory remedy. Adding raw honey to your tea can have added health benefits including being antimicrobial.
Home remedies are helpful for those who want to boost their immune systems, naturally. But this advice is not meant to replace medical treatment; if you're sick see your doctor.
Prevention is Key
Of course it's best not to get the flu in the first place. Following the common sense approach of washing your hands - a lot - during flu season actually does ward off unwanted pathogens.
Keeping your body healthy with a colon cleanse or detox might also help keep your body free from internal toxic burden, leaving the immune system free to fight the daily onslaught of harmful bacteria and virus.
Check out how you can do your own cleanse at home.
3 Step Home Body Cleanse
- Purchase a home cleanse supplement such as Herbal Fiberblend
- Follow a healthy diet like I write about in The SpringClean Cleanse, cleanse guide; this guide is designed to help you cleanse to reach your personal goals.
- Use colon hydrotherapy to help your body become more efficient. If colonics are unavailable or too expensive, try a home Colema Board.
Your Immune System - Passive, Aggressive, or Just Right?
Boost Your Immune System and Super Charge Your Health