Natural Flu Remedy for a Strong Immune System
These days, we forget about any natural flu remedy as many of us flock to the emergency room as soon as flu symptoms appear. But going back to the old fashioned natural flu remedy might be just the thing your body needs to help boost your immune system and kick the flu right out.
I have used holistic practices to beat the flu for years, in spite of the fact that I've had Hepatitis C and pneumonia. This is significant since the flu is worse for those with a weakened immune system (from Hep C), and once inflicted with pneumonia it is easier to contract it in the future.
The following is a list of natural flu remedies that you can use today to help strengthen your immune system so your body can do what it is made to do - fight the flu and get it out of you.
Heat to simmer:2 cups of chicken broth1 cup of coconut milk1/2 Tablespoon of curry powderAdd:About 1 cup of cooked chopped chicken3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice1/4 Cup each of minced green onion and fresh cilantro1 Cup of cooked basmati riceSea salt and pepper to taste
- As soon as you feel you are coming down with the flu, stop eating all sugar, breads and cheese. Any natural flu remedy will have a better chance of working when we give our bodies rest in other areas such as digestion. This will help keep your body clear while taking the burden off your digestion so that your body can do these two things; neutralize of kill any virus or pathogens and eliminate them from your body. The sooner it is out of you the sooner you will get better.
- Consume plenty of clear liquids that will provide nourishment. This includes chicken or vegetable broth, water, diluted fruit or vegetable juice, and herbal teas.
- Drink warm water with organic lemon juice mixed in. You can use a couple tablespoons to 1/4 cup of lemon juice per glass of warm water, depending on your tolerance. The citrus helps thin mucus, provides Vitamin C and helps your body expel infected mucus.
- Add a dash of cayenne pepper and real maple syrup to your warm lemon water. This is a detox drink similar to the Master Cleanse. I like to add this when I'm sick as the real maple syrup contains natural minerals and the cayenne pepper is good for the heart. Maple syrup contains zinc and manganese, both of which are important to stimulate and help your immune system to work. Cayenne pepper helps your body eliminate pathogens, stimulates your metabolism (which in turn will help kill bad guys) and strengthens heart tissue. I feel this is important to protect my heart during a bout of flu or any illness, since bacteria and virus can affect the heart.
- Drink warm water with apple cider vinegar and real maple syrup. Real apple cider vinegar is not clear - it will be a brownish color with a fiber running through it. (My favorite is Bragg's from the local health food store.) It contains malic acid, which helps fight bacterial infections and kills fungus. It contains a myriad of vitamins and minerals including beta-carotene, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, sulphur, sodium and potassium. It helps break up uric acid throughout your body which can contribute to toxic lymph fluid (part of your immune system) and cause pain in the joints. Using two tablespoons would be enough to receive the health benefits. Also, may people prefer this drink with honey - I just prefer maple syrup. No matter which you choose just know it helps make this "health tea" taste a little better.
- Drink liquid goldenseal and echinacea in about 1/4 cup of warm water. These herbs help your body kill virus and bacteria while stimulating your immune system. It is said these herbs increase the strength of the immune system by up to 60%!
- A popular natural flu remedy is old fashioned chicken soup - but for more healing power, try a chicken coconut curry soup. The coconut milk is extremely nourishing and the herbs not only strengthen but help your body expel thick, excess mucus. Here's a quick recipe:
Many times we don't feel like cooking while sick - so if you can find a similar soup in your local health food store, try it. We find this soup at the local Von's store - it may not be organic, but it tastes excellent and does the trick!
I hope you can avoid the flu this year - but if you don't then I pray that you find a natural flu remedy that will be helpful to you. Take care and stay well!
Natural flu remedy HOME PAGE